Philip was born on the Greek island of Corfu in 1921 to Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark and Princess Alice of Battenberg. His family was banished from Greece when he was young, grew up living in France, Germany, and Britain. He served in the British Navy during World War II.
Philip married Queen Elizabeth II on November 20, 1947, at Westminster Abbey, before she ascended the British throne in 1952. The couple had four children: Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, and Prince Edward.
Prince Philip has eight grandchildren: Prince William, Prince Harry, Peter Phillips, Zara Tindall, Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, Lady Louise Windsor, and James, Viscount Severn. He has 10 great-grandchildren including Prince George, Princess Charlotte, Prince Louis, Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor, and Lilibet Diana Mountbatten-Windsor.
Philip died on April 9, 2021, at Windsor Castle at the age of 99. His funeral service was held at St. George’s Chapel in Windsor on Saturday, April 17, during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- Full Name: Philip Mountbatten
- Birth: June 10, 1921
- Parents: Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark and Princess Alice of Battenberg
- Death: April 9, 2021
- Height: 6′ 0″
- Royal Title: Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth, and Baron Greenwich
- Spouse: Queen Elizabeth II
- Children: Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, and Prince Edward