Venom is a fictional character that first appeared in Marvel comic books in the 1980s. The black squid-like alien bonds with a host (usually human) to create a dual lifeform with extraordinary powers.
The sentient extraterrestrial began as a villain. Its first human host was Spider-Man in a 1984 comic until the web-slinger noticed its wicked ways and freed himself from it. But Venom has evolved into an antihero, even showing a sense of humor.
On the big screen, actors Tobey Maguire and Topher Grace played the alien in 2007’s Spider-Man 3. Tom Hardy portrays the most recent film iteration. His failed investigative reporter Eddie Brock became one with the symbiote in Sony Pictures’ Venom (2018) and Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021).
- Character’s name: Venom
- Comic book universe: Marvel
- Creators: Todd McFarlane, David Michelinie, Mike Zeck
- Year first appeared: 1984
- Notable actors who have played Venom: Tobey Maguire, Topher Grace, Tom Hardy
- Current live-action Venom: Tom Hardy
- Species: Klyntar (alien symbiote)
- Notable hosts: Spider-Man, Eddie Brock
- Powers: Including but not limited to cloning, camouflage, telepathic communication, acidic saliva and blood, all of Spider-Man’s abilities because he was the first human host
Visit the Venom page on Marvel’s website.