Alex Trebek grew up in a French-English home in Ontario, Canada. In 1961, he graduated with a philosophy degree from the University of Ottawa. Trebek rose up the ranks at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, eventually covering special events and hosting the national radio news. After moving to the U.S. in 1973, he began hosting The Wizard of Odds for NBC.
After a decade of game show experience, Trebek signed on to host the revival of Jeopardy! He became the beloved figurehead of the long-running game show for nearly four decades, participating in other TV series along the way.
In early 2019, Trebek announced his pancreatic cancer diagnosis and plans to fight the disease. He continued to host Jeopardy! as he underwent chemotherapy. The beloved host died at his LA home on November 8, 2020. Trebek’s legacy includes lifelong advocacy for World Vision, United Service Organizations, and Hope of the Valley Rescue Mission.
- Full name: George Alexander Trebek
- Age: 80 years old at the time of his death on November 8, 2020 (b. July 22, 1940)
- Height: 5’8″
- Spouse: Elaine Howard (m. 1974–1981); Jean Currivan (m. 1990)
- Children: adopted daughter, Nicky Trebek (b. 1968); biological children, Matthew Trebek (b. 1990) and Emily Trebek (b. 1993)
- Hometown: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
- Net worth: estimated $75 million