James Bond is a British literary and movie character who first appeared in novelist Ian Fleming’s 1953 spy thriller Casino Royale. Also known by his job title — Agent 007 or simply 007 — Bond works for the British Secret Intelligence Service, aka MI6.
He is a superior spy, using his wits, martial arts skills, and clever weapons (created by the humble MI6 armorer Q) to defeat adversaries. Also an automotive enthusiast, he has driven various sports cars, including numerous Aston Martin models. The masculine martini-drinker has wooed plenty of women, too.
Since the character debuted on the big screen in 1962’s Dr. No, several actors have portrayed the iconic spy. Sean Connery, David Niven, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan, and Daniel Craig have all taken turns in the role.
- Character’s name: James Bond (aka 007, Agent 007)
- Creator: Ian Fleming
- Year first appeared: 1953 (in books), 1962 (in films)
- Famous line: “Shaken, not stirred.”
- Weapons: Walther PPK, Walther P99, martial arts, gadgets such as a fountain pen gun and a cigarette lighter gun
- Car of choice: Various Aston Martin models
- Fun facts: An avid birdwatcher, Fleming named the character after an ornithologist whose book he had read; the number “007” (pronounced “double-oh-seven”) is a code referencing the agent’s license to kill.
- James Bond actors in order of appearance: Sean Connery, David Niven, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan, Daniel Craig
Visit the official James Bond website.