Madonna is an American singer-songwriter and actor famous for her pop songs, iconic music videos, and courting controversy regarding religion, sex, and politics. Since her career began in 1984, the Grammy Award-winning Queen of Pop has remained in the public eye by constantly reinventing herself.
MTV played a pivotal role in the artist’s early success by popularizing her music videos. The video for 1989’s “Like a Prayer” is arguably her most controversial, thanks to its burning crosses that had the pope calling for Catholics to boycott the singer. But 1990’s “Justify My Love” was too provocative for even the cable music channel, which banned the video for its explicit sexual content. The music videos for “Bedtime Story,” “Vogue,” “Ray of Light,” and “Express Yourself” also remain memorable for their artistry and visual imagery.
In addition, the singer has consistently made headlines for her personal life, from her romances with actor Sean Penn and rapper Tupac Shakur to her religious views to her relationships with her children.
- Full name: Madonna Louise Ciccone
- Born: August 16, 1958
- Hometown: Bay City, Michigan
- Net worth: $850 million
- Height: 5’4″
- Spouse: Guy Ritchie (m. 2000-2008), Sean Penn (m. 1985-1989)
- Children: Estere Ciccone, Stelle Ciccone, Mercy James, David Banda, Rocco Ritchie, Lourdes Leon
- Genre: Pop
- Top tracks: “Cherish,” “I’ll Remember,” “La Isla Bonita,” “Live to Tell,” “Take a Bow”
- Top albums: American Life, Confessions on a Dance Floor, Hard Candy, Like a Prayer, Like a Virgin, Madame X, MDNA, Music, True Blue
- Top movies: Evita, A League of Their Own, Die Another Day
- Fun fact: She goes to bed at 4 a.m. daily.
- If you like this artist, you might also like: Cyndi Lauper, Duran Duran, Janet Jackson, Michael Jackson, George Michael, Kylie Minogue, Prince,
Visit Madonna’s official website.