Mariska Hargitay is an American actor best known for her role as Olivia Benson in the drama Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. On the long-running TV show, Hargitay stars as a detective investigating sex crimes for the New York Police Department’s 16th Precinct in Manhattan.
Aside from landing the role of a lifetime, she has appeared in numerous other TV series and movies. Her acting debut came in the 1984 cult classic Ghoulies. Subsequent roles include Carly Fixx on the popular primetime soap opera Falcon Crest in 1988; Cynthia Hooper in the 1990s George Clooney-led medical drama, ER; and Didi Edelstein in the mid-’90s sitcom Can’t Hurry Love. She also played law enforcement officers in the 1991 police procedural FBI: The Untold Stories and the short-lived 1992 drama Tequila and Bonetti.
- Full name: Mariska Magdolna Hargitay
- Born: January 23, 1964
- Hometown: Santa Monica, California
- Height: 5’8″
- Net worth: $100 million
- Spouse: Peter Hermann (m. 2004)
- Children: Amaya Josephine Hermann, Andrew Nicolas Hargitay Hermann, August Miklos Friedrich Hermann
- Top TV shows: Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
- Top movies: Tales From Earthsea, Lake Placid, Leaving Las Vegas, Ghoulies
- Fun fact: She is the daughter of the 1950s actor/sex symbol Jayne Mansfield and bodybuilder/actor Mickey Hargitay