The Golden Girls
The Golden Girls cast included Bea Arthur as the headstrong Dorothy Zbornak, Betty White as the ditzy Rose Nylund, Rue McClanahan as the flirtatious Blanche Devereaux, and Estelle Getty as Dorothy’s sarcastic mother, Sophia Petrillo. All three co-stars won Emmy Awards for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series, and Getty earned a statuette for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series. In total, the show snagged 11 Primetime Emmy Awards, four Golden Globes, and numerous other honors.
After seven seasons, the series ended when Arthur left the show. The same year, the remaining co-stars reprised their roles in a short-lived spinoff, The Golden Palace.
Today, the only Golden Girls cast member still alive is Betty White. The beloved actor has become a cultural icon for her animal advocacy and grandmotherly advice.
- Main cast: Bea Arthur, Betty White, Rue McClanahan, Estelle Getty
- Creator: Susan Harris
- TV genres: Sitcom, comedy
- Original release: 1985-1992
- Seasons: 7
- Theme song: “Thank You for Being a Friend”
- Streaming: Hulu, Amazon Prime Video
- Fun fact: White originally auditioned for Blanche, and McClanahan read for the part of Rose, but producers switched their roles.
- Spinoffs: Empty Nest, The Golden Palace
- If you like The Golden Girls, you might also like: Designing Women, Hot in Cleveland, The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Follow Betty White on Twitter.