Hulu is a U.S. subscription-based video-on-demand and live-TV streaming service. Offering thousands of movies and TV shows through the internet, the platform competes with Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.
Hulu launched to the public in March 2008 and began releasing original content in 2011 with the pop culture news show The Morning After. The following year, the first scripted original series, Battleground, debuted. But the most successful Hulu Original is the Primetime Emmy Award-winning series The Handmaid’s Tale, which debuted in 2017. Starring Golden Globe-winning actor Elisabeth Moss, the dystopian drama about fertile women forced into childbearing slavery is based on Margaret Atwater’s 1985 novel of the same name.
Other notable Hulu Original content includes miniseries like the Michael Keaton-led Dopesick; award-winning movies such as The United States vs. Billie Holiday, starring Oscar-nominated actor/singer Andra Day; and series including Nine Perfect Strangers, co-starring Nicole Kidman and Melissa McCarthy.
Hulu is available for streaming in the United States and Japan.
- Launched: October 29, 2007 (beta); March 12, 2008 (public release)
- Founders: Jason Kilar, Beth Comstock
- Owners: Comcast, NBCUniversal, Providence Equity, Walt Disney Television, Fox Entertainment Group
- Headquarters: Los Angeles, California
- Subscribers: 43 million
- How to access Hulu content: Stream from the web or use the Hulu app on a smartphone, tablet, game console, set-top box, or select smart TV.
- Notable Hulu original TV series: Only Murders in the Building, Castle Rock, Dopesick, The Great, The Handmaid’s Tale, Little Fires Everywhere, Nine Perfect Strangers, Normal People, Pen 15, Ramy, Solar Opposites, Veronica Mars
- Notable Hulu original movies: Happiest Season, I Am Greta, Palm Springs, Run, The United States vs. Billie Holiday
Visit the Hulu website.