Captain America is a fictional superhero who first appeared in Marvel Comics in 1941. He is the alter ego of Steve Rogers, a weakling who joined the U.S. military to help the cause in World War II. Rogers agreed to become injected with a top-secret serum and undergo extensive training, turning him into the patriotic super-soldier Captain America. But he became trapped in ice and didn’t reawaken until he thawed in modern times.
Actor Chris Evans famously portrayed the character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, beginning with the 2011 film Captain America: The First Avenger. Evans also appeared in numerous other MCU movies, including The Avengers, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and Captain America: Civil War.
In the 2021 Disney+ limited series The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Rogers relinquishes his shield to his closest ally. As a result, Sam Wilson/Falcon, played by Anthony Mackie, takes up the mantle as Captain America.
- Name/alias: Steven Rogers/Captain America
- Comic book universe: Marvel
- Creators: Joe Simon, Jack Kirby
- First appeared: 1941
- Notable actors who have played Captain America: Chris Evans, Anthony Mackie
- Allies: Sharon Carter, Falcon, Winter Soldier, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Hulk, Iron Man, Nick Fury, Captain Marvel
- Enemies: Hydra, Red Guardian, Baron Strucker
- Affiliations: Avengers, Secret Avengers
- Abilities/weapons: Enhanced fighting skills, strength, speed, agility, durability, intelligence, nearly indestructible Vibranium-steel shield
Visit the Captain America page on the Marvel website.