Johnny Depp is an actor, producer, and musician famous for portraying Captain Jack Sparrow in the Disney film series Pirates of the Caribbean.
He started as a teen heartthrob in the 1984 horror flick A Nightmare on Elm Street and the 1987 TV series 21 Jump Street. But he quickly proved his acting chops in films such as What’s Eating Gilbert Grape with Leonardo DiCaprio, Donnie Brasco with Al Pacino, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and Blow.
Depp has also delivered iconic performances in movies directed by frequent collaborator Tim Burton, including Edward Scissorhands, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
In addition, the Ed Wood actor has earned multiple nominations for Academy Awards, Screen Actors Guild Awards, and Golden Globes. He took home a Golden Globe for Sweeney Todd and a SAG Award for Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.
- Full name: John Christopher Depp II
- Birthday: June 9, 1963
- Hometown: Owensboro, Kentucky
- Height: 5’10”
- Net worth: $150 million
- Spouse: Amber Heard (m. 2015-2017), Lori Anne Allison (m. 1983-1985)
- Kids: Lily-Rose Depp, Jack Depp
- Top movies: Pirates of the Caribbean, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Edward Scissorhands, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
- Odd jobs before he was famous: Ballpoint pen salesman
- Fun fact: Depp pursued a music career before switching to acting at Nicolas Cage’s urging.