Actor/filmmaker Tom Hanks has played iconic roles throughout his decades-long career. He is best known for portraying Forrest Gump in the movie of the same name, voicing the Disney character Woody in the Toy Story film series, and acting alongside a volleyball in Cast Away.
Adept at performing dramatic and comedic parts with equal aplomb, the Academy Award winner boasts nearly a hundred acting credits. Critical and commercial hits include Apollo 13, Big, The Green Mile, Philadelphia, Saving Private Ryan, Sleepless in Seattle, and Splash.
But before all the big-screen blockbusters was the early-’80s TV show Bosom Buddies. Hanks and Peter Scolari played single professionals who disguise themselves as women to live in the only apartment they can afford. Though ABC canceled the series after only two seasons, the starring role helped boost Hanks’ career.
- Full name: Thomas Jeffrey Hanks
- Born: July 9, 1956, in Concord, California
- Height: 6 feet
- Net worth: $400 million
- Spouse: Rita Wilson (m. 1988), Samantha Lewes (m. 1978-1987)
- Kids: Chet Hanks, Colin Hanks, Elizabeth Ann Hanks, Truman Hanks
- Top movies/shows: Apollo 13, Big, Bosom Buddies, Cast Away, Forrest Gump, The Green Mile, Philadelphia, Saving Private Ryan, Sleepless in Seattle, Splash, Toy Story
- Odd jobs before he was famous: Hotel bellman, peanut vendor
- Fun fact: An asteroid is named after him.
- Most famous for: Playing Forrest Gump in the film of the same name, voicing the Toy Story character Woody, and acting alongside a Wilson volleyball in Cast Away