The entertainment industry is a multifaceted business consisting of people and companies producing and distributing mass media to the public. It encompasses TV, movies, music, theater, gaming, and other sub-industries. Entertainment genres are equally diverse, ranging from action and comedy to drama and horror. The industry not only delights and engages audiences but also drives the economy, hence the term “show business,” or “showbiz” for short.
With its major movie, television, and recording studios, Hollywood, California, is known as the showbiz capital of the world. In addition, New York City is famous for its theater and fine art offerings. But gaming has recently become one of the most profitable sectors in the entertainment industry.
- Notable entertainment companies: Comcast, Disney, Electronic Arts, Fox Corporation, iHeart Media, Live Nation, Netflix, Nintendo, Sony, ViacomCBS, Warner Music Group
- Renowned film directors: J.J. Abrams, Tim Burton, James Cameron, Francis Ford Coppola, David Fincher, Alfred Hitchcock, Ron Howard, Stanley Kubrick, Spike Lee, George Lucas, Christopher Nolan, Ridley Scott, Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg, Quentin Tarantino
- Famous film actors: Ben Affleck, Jennifer Aniston, Tom Cruise, Robert De Niro, Leonardo DiCaprio, Johnny Depp, Clint Eastwood, Tom Hanks, Tom Holland, Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, Dwayne Johnson, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Will Smith, Meryl Streep
- Well-known TV actors: Lucille Ball, Carol Burnett, Bryan Cranston, Kaley Cuoco, Ted Danson, Peter Dinklage, James Gandolfini, Andy Griffith, Mark Harmon, Neil Patrick Harris, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Ed O’Neill, Tom Selleck, Patrick Stewart, Dick Van Dyke, Betty White
- Top music artists: The Beatles, Beyoncé, Garth Brooks, BTS, Mariah Carey, Drake, Eagles, Ariana Grande, Michael Jackson, Billy Joel, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Jennifer Lopez, Madonna, Dolly Parton, Pink Floyd, Elvis Presley, the Rolling Stones, Taylor Swift